Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Artist Statement: Theme of the semester & Project 3 Conclusion

Over the course of the semester, I have been discussing elements of how we are affected by new media both negatively and positively. As a drawer, graffiti artist, painter and filmmaker/photographer, the new media and its evolving expressive forms serve as a great tool for new understanding, however I have also learned how its innate language has been manipulated in not so positive ways. Promotion and advertising have also had an important influence on my identity as an artist. Over the course of this semester, I have muddled with how to effectively express my ideas in this new media: to understand the fine line between eye candy that revels in pure gadgetry and conceptually fullfilling art that creatively utilizes this new tool that we have. Through the evolution of visual technology, we have created a new reality in a virtual world that is filled with new dilemmas involving honesty, privacy, control, and expression. This is a world where everyone wears a mask, and a “true artist” can no longer make choices without instantaneous critique and criticism. This project will aim to create an objective self portrait on the internet that stands as both a big brother surveillance tool to intimately study my whereabouts but also as a comment on the conceptual evolution of identity itself.

The terms of engagement:

I plan to use various text tools ( log book, map, notepad ) to document my life base on significant categories that I have defined. These include but are not limited to:

  1. Interactions with People
  2. Personal Thoughts
  3. Owned Materials Used
  4. Places I travel
  5. Products that I Buy
  6. Time I spend in each Location

I plan to use several video cameras, my laptop, an iphone, and a still digital camera to facilitate in accurate documentation of these categories of surveillance. The end date of the project is still unknown.

In order to view the website, you must have a specific password, which I must give to you. This key is an element that is unresolved.

I plan to attach this website to my other pages as well as link important elements of the documentation to Facebook pages when permission is granted.

No comments:

Post a Comment